In this activity, students gain understanding of the role the Large Hadron Collider is playing in exploring the current models for the structure of matter. It is a video clip and science article analysis activity.
Particle physicist Dr David Krofcheck of the University of Auckland is featured in the video clips where he describes the relationship between Big Bang theory and experiments being conducted at the Large Hadron Collider.
The science articles provide information that underpins the video clips.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- explain the main features of the Big Bang theory
- discuss the role the LHC is playing in particle physics research
- describe the structure of the nucleus
- describe how elements are formed deep within stars.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- student worksheet.