In this activity, students observe the teacher demonstrating changes in the properties of common substances when cooled with liquid nitrogen.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- realise that the properties of materials are often temperature-sensitive
- recognise that the boiling point of liquid nitrogen is extremely low
- show awareness of the potential hazards that exposure to liquid nitrogen can invoke
- explain in simple terms the reason behind the main changes occurring in each of the demonstrations.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- discussion questions
- ideas for extending your students.