The marshmallow challenge is an ideal introduction to several key aspects of innovation – idea generation, collaboration, creativity and teamwork. It‘s a simple experiential activity where teams of students are given a challenge to build the tallest freestanding structure that will support the weight of one marshmallow. They have 18 minutes to complete the challenge and are given a set number of building materials.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- discuss their experience of working in a team for this challenge
- identify some of the key challenges and benefits of working in a team
- identify some of the key steps required to successfully complete this activity
- identify some of the key behaviours required to successfully complete this activity
- discuss what they might do differently next time
- relate their experience to key information in the About innovation video clip.
Download the Word file for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- extension idea
- student handout.