In this activity, students use modelling clay to construct different shapes (sphere, cube, cylinder) and calculate surface area:volume ratios with the aim of trying to develop a more efficient shape.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- understand the importance of the shape of catalysts when they are in the form of nanoparticles
- explain what is meant by surface area
- use mathematical formulae to calculate surface area:volume ratios
- explain which shape is the most efficient.
Download the Word file for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- discussion questions
- extension idea
- student handout.