In this activity, students discuss how a variety of everyday objects can serve as metaphors for the important characteristics and functions of estuaries.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- define an estuary
- describe some key features of estuaries and their importance for humans and marine life
- discuss some of the impacts that humans have on estuaries.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- discussion questions
- ideas for extending your students
- student worksheet.
Visit the estuaries page on the Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand for more information.