In this activity, students set up an experiment to determine the biodegradability of different substances.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- organise a group of items into categories
- carry out a simple experiment
- understand that some materials are biodegradable and others aren’t
- explain what might affect how quickly something degrades
- make predictions about the biodegradability of materials.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- discussion questions
- student handout
Find out more about backyard composting on this website.