In this activity, students learn how to propagate ferns. All ferns reproduce by means of spores. Some ferns, like the hen and chickens fern, reproduce asexually by means of bulbils.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- understand that all ferns reproduce sexually by means of spores
- understand that some ferns also reproduce asexually by means of bulbils
- understand the growing conditions needed for fern reproduction and propagation
- have a clearer understanding of the fern life cycle.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- student instructions for propagating ferns
- extension ideas.