In this activity, students use text, diagrams, images and video clips to answer questions about cancer screening and diagnosis.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- gather, evaluate and synthesise information across a range of texts and media
- use content-specific vocabulary to understand texts
- discuss ways in which cancer cells differ from normal cells
- discuss different methods of screening and diagnosing some types of cancer
- consider some of the advantages and disadvantages of the various methods used to screen for breast cancer.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- extension idea
- student handout.
Find out about Breast Screen Aotearoa – New Zealand’s free national breast screening programme for women aged between 45 and 69.
Read what the New Zealand Breast Cancer Foundation has to say on mammograms and breast cancer screening.