In 2019, there will be two sessions of the IYM programme during the July school holidays. Session 1 will run from 7th - 12th July and Session 2 will be held from 14th - 19th July.
Students will stay at Silverstream Retreat, Lower Hutt and travel each day to a variety of technology businesses, research institutes and tertiary education providers in the Wellington region.
Participants will experience a range of technologies through hands-on activities and be inspired by other women who have built careers and businesses in the technology and innovation sector. These women are leaders in a range of science and technology fields and are passionate about their careers in the sector.
Read more about the 2018 programme and its impact in this report. Here are just a few of the highlights from the 2018 programme that the girls experienced!
- Learned about Antarctic ice cores and got up close and personal with an electron scanning microscope at Victoria University.
- Experienced cutting-edge virtual reality technologies at the new Te Auaha Institute of Creativity.
- Played fossil detective, learned about fabric forensics, and made their own ice cream using liquid nitrogen at GNS Science.
- Explored the chemistry behind new 'smart' paint that can switch on lights, and helped test used plastic bottles being turned into brand new food containers.
- Visited Parliament for a networking reception with some of New Zealand's leading scientists, innovators and politicians.
The full cost of the programme is $670, but some Rotary Club sponsorships are available, which can lower the cost to just $120.00. In some cases, full scholarships are also offered. Please contact IYM for more information about sponsorship and scholarships.
- Nov 1, 2018: Applications open
- April 1, 2019: Applications close
- May 10, 2019: Applicants notified if accepted
- July 7-12: Programme Session I
- July 14-19: Programme Session II
For further information and to register: www.iym.co.nz/programme