In 2019, there will be two sessions of the Innovative Young Minds (IYM) programme during the July school holidays. Session 1 will run 7–12 July and Session 2 will be held 14–19 July. Applications are due 1 April.
Students will stay at Silverstream Retreat, Lower Hutt and travel each day to a variety of technology businesses, research institutes and tertiary education providers in the Wellington region.
Participants will experience a range of technologies through hands-on activities and be inspired by other women who have built careers and businesses in the technology and innovation sector. These women are leaders in a range of science and technology fields and are passionate about their careers in the sector.
Here are just a few of the highlights from the 2018 programme that the girls experienced!
- Learned about Antarctic ice cores and got up close and personal with an electron scanning microscope at Victoria University.
- Experienced cutting-edge virtual reality technologies at the new Te Auaha Institute of Creativity.
- Played fossil detective, learned about fabric forensics, and made their own ice cream using liquid nitrogen at GNS Science.
- Explored the chemistry behind new 'smart' paint that can switch on lights, and helped test used plastic bottles being turned into brand new food containers.
- Visited Parliament for a networking reception with some of New Zealand's leading scientists, innovators and politicians.
The full cost of the programme is $670, but some Rotary Club sponsorships are available, which can lower the cost to just $120. In some cases, full scholarships are also offered. Please contact IYM for more information about sponsorship and scholarships.
- 1 Nov 2018: Applications open
- 1 April 2019: Applications close
- 10 May 2019: Applicants notified if accepted
- 7–12 July 2019: Camp programme session I
- 14–19 July 2019: Camp programme session II
For further information and to register: www.iym.co.nz/programme