What is Your School Doing to Become Eco-Champions? Why not showcase what you already do or get involved in your area? This is what Primary Science Week in 2018 is all about.
- Cleaning up a local park area
- Removing weeds from a local bush or stream
- Keeping your school free of litter
- Cleaning up the beach
- Recycling at your school
- Making Compost or feeding worms
- Removing Pests from your school and surrounds
If you are already doing one or more of these
- Communicate what you have done /found out – Infographic / Poster
If you are just starting out you can follow this scientific procedure
- Identify the issue (what is important to your school)
- Make and record observations and/or collect data
- Analyse your observations, data
- Discuss the changes and suggest permanent solutions
- look at the Cause and Effect before and after
- Compare and Contrast
- Communicate what you have done, found out
- Share with other schools using the NZAPSE Website (details coming soon)
For further information and to register: https://nzapse.nzase.org.nz/primary-science-week
Find out more about the Predator Free 2050 vision, and follow it with this article which provides a great introduction to a series of comprehensive teaching resources supporting schools to explore the pest-free vision with students, produced by ZEALANDIA, with support from WWF New Zealand.
These articles below provide examples of some Participatory Science Platform (PSP) conservation projects undertaken by schools relating to Primary Science Week.
See these Pinterest boards that we have created for more ideas:
We have also created a new collection on Pond: 2018 Primary Science Week - Eco Champions!
Check out the wide range of useful resources from the Department of Conservation. The titles include:
- Exploring your local environment
- Experiencing birds in your green space
- Experiencing invertebrates in your green space
- Experiencing native trees in your green space
- Investigating animal pests in your green space
- Investigating plant pests in your green space
- Enhancing biodiversity in your green space
- Tools for environmental action