In this free webinar, join Greta Dromgool as she introduces Tom Saunders and Chrissie Painting – two of Aotearoa’s amazing entomologists. Delve into the fascinating world of insects and the important learning that can happen if we include them in our classrooms and educational settings.
Students are naturally curious about the world around them and insects offer stimulating material with which teachers can feed that curiosity and grow their students' science knowledge and capabilities.
From observation and classification to lifecycles, adaptations and social scientific issues, insects offer it all. Join us to discover engaging resources to support your science teaching.
This session will be valuable for both primary and secondary school teachers.
Follow these simple steps to join our webinar:
- Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android by clicking on the link https://waikato.zoom.us/j/359736528 and following the instructions. You can also access Zoom on your phone, just follow the prompts.
- Find the chat box located in the toolbar at the bottom of your screen. You may need to access this by clicking on ‘More’.
- Using the chat box, introduce yourself, where you teach and, if you are in a group, how many people are there.
- Set up your screen for optimal viewing. If you’re using a mobile device, you may wish to view in landscape. We recommend selecting a thumbnail view of the presenters – this way you can easily see what is being shared on the screen.
Then you can:
- watch, listen and respond via chat to the presentation and discussion
- ask questions using the chat box at any time
- continue your learning on Slack – our online discussion forum
The Science Learning Hub team will be there to support you and answer questions.
We currently offer recognition of teachers’ involvement in our online PLD.
To qualify for a professional learning and development certificate , teachers must:
- register for and watch the live webinar or let us know they have viewed the recorded version once it is published on the website
- register in Slack and participate in our discussions about insects in the #livingworld channel or in the Slack learning reflections channel.