Exploring solar power
In this activity, students explore sunlight being converted into electricity. They are introduced to the concept of photovoltaics – making electricity from sunlight. They will become aware of some of the problems with current solar technology.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- explain the term ‘photovoltaic’
- explain that light waves from the sun can be used to produce electricity for common use
- list some current uses of solar power
- explain some of the benefits and problems associated with solar technology.
Download the Word file (see link above) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- extension ideas.
- Nature of science
Scientists are always working to improve science. Although solar energy is not new, scientists are exploring new ways and materials to improve the conversion of sunlight to electricity.