Student Activity - Build a marine food web
In this activity, students build their own food web using images of organisms from the marine ecosystem. This activity can be done indoors on paper or outdoors on a tarmac surface using chalk.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- understand the difference between a food chain and a food web
- understand that food webs are made up of producers, consumers and decomposers
- build and revise their own food web to show the interdependence of organisms in an ecosystem
- understand the potential impact of the removal or reduction of one species on the rest of the food web.
Download the Word file (see link above) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- discussion questions
- possible variations
- student worksheet
- trophic pyramid diagram
- tuna sandwich diagram(transfer of energy)
- organism cards (small)
- organism cards (large).
These two websites have more information about common student alternative conceptions related to food webs.