Student Activity - Food colouring
In this activity, students use a simple paper chromatography method to separate and identify the components present in commercially available food colouring.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- successfully use paper chromatography as a method of separation
- identify some of the typically used food colouring agents
- describe in simple terms the food additive numbering system
- research the reported effects colour additives have on children’s behaviour.
Download the Word file (see link above) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- ideas to extend your students.