Student Activity - Salivary amylase and starch
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- use simple chemical tests to identify soluble starch and reducing sugars like glucose and maltose
- safely use their own salivary amylase
- explain in simple terms how the enzymatic digestion of starch occurs
- recognise the need for careful control of variables such as temperature and amount of reactant in activities of this type
- describe how high temperatures can inactivate enzymes like amylase.
Download the Word file (see link above) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- student worksheets.